Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
I got this from a Pilsbury hamburger cookbook and it sounds good and easy.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup Italian style breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (14 ounce) jartomato pasta sauce
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. in a large bowl combine all ingredients except pasta sauce. Add 1 cup pasta sauce and mix well. Press mixture into an ungreased 8x4 inch loaf pan.
- Bake for 40 minutes. Pour remaining pasta sauce over meat loaf. Bake an additional 15 to 20 minutes or until thoroughly cooked in center and meat thermometer registers 160 degrees. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
I made some minor changes in that I used 750 grams very lean mince/ground beef, 1 egg (because that was all I had left), 2/3 cup breadcrumbs mixed with some Italian seasoning, 1/2 a small onion finely chopped (a little more than a 1/4 cup), a good grind of pepper and a 580 gram of basil and garlic pasta sauce (would cut this back as it was a little 2 rich in the tomato with the cup of sauce also added to the meat mix), these quantities worked well for me and gave a good textured meatloaf and cooked up beautifully at 175C fan forced in an hour and served 5 of us, thank you Margie99, made for Everyday A Holiday tag game.
Yum! The family enjoyed this recipe. Doubled the recipe, using one jar of Muir Glen pasta sauce for two meat loaves which made two meals for my family of five. I often freeze a second meatloaf, but just refrigerated and warmed this one the second night. The topping wasn't sweet like many meatloaf recipes, and it went nicely roasted potatoes and a green salad. The second night, I served with au gratin potatoes and roasted green beans. Both were delicious meals. Used Italian Breadcrumbs with good results. Thanks for sharing the recipe!