Prep 30 mins
Cook 12 hrs
Italian Marinated Vegetables are perfect for Summertime. They’re nutritious and delicious. This recipe is similar to giardiniera that I love to use on Italian beef sandwiches, spaghetti and pizza except that the vegetables marinated in more of a dressing than just oil and vinegar. The types of vegetables you use is up to you. It’s best just to use whatever is in season at the time. You can make one jar or a put together a few jars for friends and family. The longer you marinade the vegetables the better the flavor.
- 1 cup cauliflower floret
- 1 bunch broccoli rabe, trimmed and chopped
- 4 carrots, sliced
- 3 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into chunks
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into chunks
- 1 cup zucchini, sliced
- 6 button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup marinated artichoke hearts, quartered
- 1⁄2 cup black olives, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup of fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- In a large pot of boiling water, par boil the cauliflower, broccoli rabe, carrots, celery, bell peppers and zucchini until the vegetables are slightly tender but still a little crisp.
- Remove the vegetables and cool.
- In a large bowl mix all the vegetables together with the garlic, vinegar, lemon juice, mustard, oil, basil, oregano, rosemary, thyme, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Or place in large glass jars and refrigerate.
- Serve chilled or room temperature.
- The vegetables should last up to a week in the fridge.