Recipe by Chilicat
I prefer the tomato-based "Manhattan" clam chowders over the more common New England ones. This one is from a Hawaiian Electric Company cookbook.
- 2 (6 1/2 ounce) cans minced clams, including liquid
- 3⁄4 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, including liquid
- 1 cup carrot, chopped
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup small shell pasta
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain clams, saving liquid.
- In a large saucepan, saute celery and green onions in the butter. Add water, tomatoes (including liquid), carrots, bouillon, thyme, pepper, and the clam liquid. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Add macaroni; cook uncovered for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add clams; heat through.