Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
Sharp orange cheddar cheese can be used in place of the white cheddar for this.
Top Review by bricookie55
This was such a delicious dish! It is very rich and decadent! We used 1 cup heavy cream/3 cups 2% milk in place of the half and half, and it turned out great. Thanks for yet another winning recipe!
- 1 (8 ounce) packagelarge elbow macaroni noodles
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs, divided
- 1 (10 ounce) package white cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 3⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 6 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 cups half-and-half cream (or use full-fat milk)
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- black pepper
- 1 -2 plum tomato, sliced (or coarsley chopped)
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese (or to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling water until just tender; drain (do not rinse) and place in a large bowl, toss with 2 tablespoons butter; set aside.
- Sprinkle 1/4 cup breadcrumbs (can use a tablespoon more breadcrumbs) into the bottom of the dish; tilt the dish to coat the sides evenly.
- Layer 1/3 of the cooked macaroni, then 1/3 of the white cheddar, then 1/3 of the mozza cheese, then 1/3 of the Parmesan cheese, then remaining 1/4 cup breadcrumbs.
- Repeat the layer twice ending with breadcrumbs.
- In a bowl whisk the eggs with half and half cream, salt and black pepper; pour evenly over the layered mixture in the baking dish.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes minutes or until golden brown and set.
- Remove from oven then layer the tomato slices on top, then sprinkle with about 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese (or to taste) on top of the tomatoes; return to oven for another 20-25 minutes.