Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
Sharp orange cheddar cheese can be used in place of the white cheddar for this.
- 1 (8 ounce) packagelarge elbow macaroni noodles
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs, divided
- 1 (10 ounce) package white cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 3⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 6 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 cups half-and-half cream (or use full-fat milk)
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- black pepper
- 1 -2 plum tomato, sliced (or coarsley chopped)
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese (or to taste)
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling water until just tender; drain (do not rinse) and place in a large bowl, toss with 2 tablespoons butter; set aside.
- Sprinkle 1/4 cup breadcrumbs (can use a tablespoon more breadcrumbs) into the bottom of the dish; tilt the dish to coat the sides evenly.
- Layer 1/3 of the cooked macaroni, then 1/3 of the white cheddar, then 1/3 of the mozza cheese, then 1/3 of the Parmesan cheese, then remaining 1/4 cup breadcrumbs.
- Repeat the layer twice ending with breadcrumbs.
- In a bowl whisk the eggs with half and half cream, salt and black pepper; pour evenly over the layered mixture in the baking dish.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes minutes or until golden brown and set.
- Remove from oven then layer the tomato slices on top, then sprinkle with about 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese (or to taste) on top of the tomatoes; return to oven for another 20-25 minutes.
This was such a delicious dish! It is very rich and decadent! We used 1 cup heavy cream/3 cups 2% milk in place of the half and half, and it turned out great. Thanks for yet another winning recipe!
Very good and an interesting version of mac n' cheese using different cheeses. We skipped the tomato but really enjoyed this macaroni and cheese. Thanks for sharing!