Recipe by SaladMaster
I never thought to add crushed tomatoes into macaroni, but it's delicious. The original recipe called for ham, but I made it with chicken and I want to try sweet or hot Italian sausage next! Bon Appetit!
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup grated cheese (I used a mix of an Italian blend and Colby Jack)
- 1 1⁄2 cups uncooked macaroni
- 1 cup cubed cooked chicken, seasoned with
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup canned Italian-style tomatoes (reserve juices)
- 1⁄4 cup Italian style breadcrumbs
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat your oven to 350°F; grease a casserole.
- Heat a saucepan on medium-high and fill it with water. When boiling add the macaroni and cook 5-7 minutes. Stir taste for doneness. Drain and set aside.
- In a saucepan heat butter until foamy on medium-high heat. Add the flour and whisk until it's golden. Slowly pour in the milk and whisk until slightly thickened. Reduce temperature to a simmer as you whisk.
- Stir in all but 1/4cup of the cheese and remove the pan from the heat. The sauce will be sort of loose.
- Fold in the noodles and chicken. add the tomatoes and a bit of the juice. Taste and adjust seasonings by adding salt, pepper, and some paprika. Stir well then transfer to the casserole.
- If the mixture seems thick and gluey add more tomato juice. top with 1/4 cup cheese and the breadcrumbs. bake for 25 minutes until bubbly and brown.