Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a dish my parents made for me while I was growing up. This is my ultimate comfort food. I'm not sure exactly where it came from but it is generally a hit even though it sounds a little weird.
- 1 lb extra sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 lb elbow pasta
- 0.5 (16 ounce) bottle Italian salad dressing
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Cook pasta to about 3/4 of the way done and drain.
- Grate the cheese (extra sharp is important).
- Layer noodles, cheese and dressing in a 9x13 casserole dish and top with bread crumbs.
- Bake for 30-45 mins until bubbling and the top layer is melted and starting to brown.
Made this for a neighbor couple I cook for from time to time & they DO enjoy their mac & cheese dinners, so I thought this would suit them well! They were a little concerned when they saw the Italian salad dressing on the ingredient list (since I always give them a copy of the recipes I make) but once they tasted it, they were definitely pleased! I did use coarse crumbs from a whole grain bread that we like & I also prepared it in two casserole dishes so that my other half & I could have some as well! Total satisfaction all around, thanks to your recipe! [Made & reviewed in New Kids on the Block tag]