Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
A nice vegetable soup to be tried some cool summer evening.
- 6 cups water
- 1 cup lentils
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup carrot, sliced
- 1 cup celery, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups summer squash, sliced
- 2 cups escarole, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup zucchini, sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- In a 6 quart saucepan, bring the water to a boil over high heat.
- Add the lentils, onions, carrots, celery, garlic, bay leaf and oregano, return to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, l hour.
- Add the squash, escarole, zucchini, salt and pepper; simmer, uncovered, 30 minutes longer.
- Remove the garlic cloves and bay leaf before serving.