Prep 12 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This dish is so easy and the garlic gives it a great taste.
- 6 -8 ounces dried lentils
- 8 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 onion, quartered
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 4 -6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and pepper
- Rinse lentils and drain.
- Place all ingredients in a pot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat,cover and simmer for 2 hour.
- Remove bay leaves and adjust salt and pepper if necessary.
I added a little bit of parmesan cheese to this recipe, wow it's great!
I added some red lentils, too (they make the soup thick). Also added barley & some italian seasoning. Most excellent! Can't wait for cooler weather so I can make it again!
This is great! The simplicity makes it even better. I made this for dinner when an Indian friend was returning to India. Knowing that they like a little more "kick" in their cuisine, I added a tsp of Indian spice blend: "Dal Masala - Spice Blend for Lentils". It's a blend of salt, dry mango, cumin, coriander, peper, ginger, red chilies, nutmeg, and asafoetida. I'm making this soup again tonight - the perect winter dinner course.