Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
I got this recipe from the Vegan chef website and it is delicious!
- 3 cups water or 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1⁄2 cup lentils, sorted, and rinsed
- 1⁄2 cup brown rice, rinsed, and drained
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 cup onion, finely diced
- 1⁄4 cup green pepper, destemmed, deseeded, and finely diced
- 1⁄4 cup red pepper, destemmed, deseeded, and finely diced
- 2 tablespoons green onions, minced
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon tamari or 1 tablespoon soy sauce or 1 tablespoon Braggs liquid aminos
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- safflower oil
- 2 -3 cups marinara sauce
- submarine rolls (or hot dog buns) or other soft roll (or hot dog buns)
- shredded vegan soy mozzarella cheese (optional)
- Begin by placing the water in a medium saucepan and bring it to a boil. Add the lentils, brown rice, and dried herbs, cover the saucepan, reduce the heat to low, and simmer the mixture until the lentils are tender, about 30-40 minutes. If there is any liquid remaining in the pan, drain it off.
- Add the diced onion, green pepper, red pepper, green onion, parsley, soy sauce, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper to the lentil-brown rice mixture. Using a potato masher, mash the mixture well to combine all of the ingredients. Taste, adjust seasonings, as needed, and set mixture aside to cool slightly.
- Using a little safflower oil, lightly oil a non-stick cookie sheet, and set aside.
- Using your hands or a small scoop, shape the cooled lentil-brown rice mixture into 24 - 1 1/4-inch balls, and place them on the prepared cookie sheet. Using your fingers, rub a little safflower oil over the top of each lentil ball.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 25-30 minutes, or until the lentil balls are dry to the touch and lightly browned on the outside. Remove the cookie sheet from the oven.
- To assemble each Italian Lentil Ball Submarine Sandwich: split open the submarine roll, if needed, spoon a little of the Easy Marinara Sauce in the bottom of the roll, place 4 of the baked lentil balls in the roll, top with some additional Marinara Sauce, and if desired, sprinkle a little shredded vegan soy mozzarella cheese over the top. Serve immediately. The baked lentil balls can also be served with pasta as a main dish.
We didn't make the sandwiches, I just made the meatballs and my kids absolutely loved them! So easy to make, and healthy too! Thanks for this recipe.
These were very tasty! I used all green pepper as it is what I had on hand, but otherwise followed the recipe. I was pleasantly surprised that the balls held up well enough to be put on bread like a sandwich; this hasn't been my experience with lentils as my veg patties usually turn out to be more like sloppy joes! That said, I would love to try these with BBQ sauce and cheddar cheese next time. My 2 y/o DS chowed down on these, which is what takes this recipe from four to five stars :). We enjoyed these stuffed in pita halves, and I think it helped keep the sandwich together fairly well. Thanks for posting! Made for PAC Fall 2009.