1 hr 15 mins
I got this recipe from the Vegan chef website and it is delicious!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups water or 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup lentils, sorted, and rinsed
- 1/2 cup brown rice, rinsed, and drained
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 cup onion, finely diced
- 1/4 cup green pepper, destemmed, deseeded, and finely diced
- 1/4 cup red pepper, destemmed, deseeded, and finely diced
- 2 tablespoons green onions, minced
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon tamari or 1 tablespoon soy sauce or 1 tablespoon Braggs liquid aminos
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- safflower oil
- 2 -3 cups marinara sauce
- submarine rolls (or hot dog buns) or other soft roll (or hot dog buns)
- shredded vegan soy mozzarella cheese (optional)
- 1Begin by placing the water in a medium saucepan and bring it to a boil. Add the lentils, brown rice, and dried herbs, cover the saucepan, reduce the heat to low, and simmer the mixture until the lentils are tender, about 30-40 minutes. If there is any liquid remaining in the pan, drain it off.
- 2Add the diced onion, green pepper, red pepper, green onion, parsley, soy sauce, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper to the lentil-brown rice mixture. Using a potato masher, mash the mixture well to combine all of the ingredients. Taste, adjust seasonings, as needed, and set mixture aside to cool slightly.
- 3Using a little safflower oil, lightly oil a non-stick cookie sheet, and set aside.
- 4Using your hands or a small scoop, shape the cooled lentil-brown rice mixture into 24 - 1 1/4-inch balls, and place them on the prepared cookie sheet. Using your fingers, rub a little safflower oil over the top of each lentil ball.
- 5Bake at 400 degrees for 25-30 minutes, or until the lentil balls are dry to the touch and lightly browned on the outside. Remove the cookie sheet from the oven.
- 6To assemble each Italian Lentil Ball Submarine Sandwich: split open the submarine roll, if needed, spoon a little of the Easy Marinara Sauce in the bottom of the roll, place 4 of the baked lentil balls in the roll, top with some additional Marinara Sauce, and if desired, sprinkle a little shredded vegan soy mozzarella cheese over the top. Serve immediately. The baked lentil balls can also be served with pasta as a main dish.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Italian Lentil Ball Submarine Sandwiches
Serving Size: 1 (265 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 162.8
- Calories from Fat 26
- Total Fat 2.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 1.7 mg
- Sodium 719.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 8.8 g
- Protein 4.9 g