Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
this vegetarian recipe has a rich flavor and is easy and inexpensive to make.
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 cups tomato juice
- 1⁄4 cup white wine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon marjoram
- 1 cup lentils, rinsed and picked over
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 small potato, peeled and cubed
- 1⁄3 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- Heat olive oil in a large pot.
- Saute carrots, celery, onion, and garlic for 5 minutes or until they begin to soften.
- Add broth, water, tomato juice, wine, thyme, marjoram, and lentils.
- Bring to a boil and simmer 10 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and potato and simmer 10 minutes.
- Add barley and simmer 10 minutes.
- Add lemon juice, adjust seasoning, and serve. I usually top with Parmesan cheese.