Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 mins
The basis of this recipe from Giada De laurentis' Everyday Italian though I found it too sweet for my taste and have tinkered with the ingredients. The Basil gives this an earthy flavor.
- 2 cups fresh lemon juice, approximately 12-15 lemons
- 2 cups cold water
- 1 bunch fresh basil, washed and stemmed
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- Prepare a basil simple syrup by combining the basil, sugar and 2 cups of water in a saucepan.
- Simmer for approximately 5 minutes or until the water is clear and the sugar is dissolved.
- Cool to room temperature or store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Strain before using.
- Combine the lemon juice, basil simple syrup, and the 2 cups of cold water. Mix well.
- Add more water according to your taste.