Prep 5 hrs
Cook 20 mins
Lemon granita is easily the most popular of all Italian ices, and with good reason. On a hot summer's day, no refreshment beats it tangy, revitalizing taste. Prep time included chill time. From The Mediterranean Vegan Kitchen.
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice (juice of about 6 medium lemons)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons finely grated fresh lemons, rind of (about the peel from 1 medium lemon)
- 2 teaspoons lemon extract
- Combine 2 cups of the water with the sugar in a medium nonreactive saucepan; bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Add the salt, stir, and remove the pan from the heat.
- Stir in the remaining water and let cool to room temperature.
- Cover and refrigerate for a minimum of 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, place a shallow metal 2 1/2 qt container (such as a large cake pan) in the freezer to chill.
- Add the lemon juice, lemon peel, and extract to the chilled sugar mixture; stir until well blended.
- Pour into the chilled metal pan.
- Place the pan in the freezer for 30-60 minutes, or until ice crystals form around the edges.
- Stir the ice crystals into the center of the pan and return to the freezer.
- Repeat every 30 minutes, or until all the liquid is crystallized but not frozen solid, about 3 hours.
- To serve, scoop the granita into chilled dessert bowls or goblets.
- (If the granita has become too hard, scrape it with a large metal spoon to break up the ice crystals.) Serve at once.
- Advance Preparation: The granita can be stored, covered, for up to four days in the freezer, but it will have become frozen solid.
- To serve, either allow the granita to thaw in the refridgerator until you can scrape the crystals, or break it up into chunks and process with on/off motions in a food processor fitted with the knife blade until fairly smooth.
Yum - made and then when all cool poured in a ziplock bag to freeze - just "beat" up the bag rather than scraping and remixing - worked great!
This recipe is delicious and so easy to make. The only thing I would change is to use less lemon juice next time. It was too tart for me. Otherwise, extremely yummy and refreshing on a hot day.
I did not have any lemons and used a cup of lemon juice instead. I did use the extract. The lemon ices are SO good. I have made them twice now because my family requested more. i also stored what couldnt be eaten in empty yogart containers. They stored well. Thanks for a great recipe.