It was very hot and humid here today, so I made some Italian Lemon Ices to help cool off :) I have included both versions because most people have a definite preference for either the "water ices", or the creamier "Roman Style" ices. One of my fondest summer memories as a child, was when my grandmother would "slip" me a dime, so I could go down to the neighborhood Italian bakery and buy a cup of lemon ices....yum!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups hot water
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup lemon juice, fresh squeezed
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh lemon rind
Roman Style Lemon Ices
- 1***Water Ices*** (serves 4).
- 2Melt sugar in hot water, add lemon juice and rind.
- 3Let mixture stand for 5 minutes.
- 4Strain, place mixture in a freezing tray and freeze, stirring frequently, until it reaches a mushy consistency.
- 5If you have an electric ice cream machine, pour mixture into machine and freeze according to manufacturer's directions.
- 6****Roman Style**** (serves 6).
- 7Combine sugar and water in saucepan, heat until sugar melts.
- 8Add lemon juice.
- 9Strain mixture through a very fine sieve.
- 10Freeze until mushy, stirring frequently.
- 11Beat egg white until stiff.
- 12Remove ice mixture from freezer when mushy.
- 13Add stiffly beaten egg white and 1/4 cup sugar and mix well.
- 14Add rum and mix.
- 15Return to freezer and continue to freeze to ices consistency (not solid), stirring often.
- 16If you have an electric ice cream machine, pour mixture into machine and freeze according to manufacturer's directions.
- 17Add beaten egg white and sugar according to manufacturer's instructions as you would if you were adding additional ingredients (nuts, choc chips, etc) to your ice cream.
Browse Our Top Frozen Desserts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Italian Lemon Ice
Serving Size: 1 (390 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 553.2
- Calories from Fat 1
- Total Fat 0.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 26.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 130.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 126.7 g
- Protein 1.1 g