These cookies are called several names but our family always called them Easter Cookies, because that's when my Grandmother made them, and the name stuck. Prep time also includes forming the dough into desired shapes. Amount of cookies will vary depending on their size.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Sift together the dry ingredients.
- Add sugar and mix well.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix well to combine.
- Form the dough into small one-inch balls (or roll into a long 'snake' and twist into desired shapes).
- If dough in dry and crumbly add a bit of milk at a time to get it to the right consistency.
- Place on cookie sheet and bake till golden brown (apporximately 7-8 min).
- Frosting: Add milk and extract to the confectioners sugar and mix well.
- You do not want a watery consistency nor a cake frosting consistency, but just thick enough to have some remain on the cookie and drizzle (slowly) down the sides.
- Dip top of ball into the frosting and allow to sit for a few seconds before topping with sprinkles.
- If allowed to dry, sprinkles will not adhere.