Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe was given to my mother by an Italian Grandma that used to babysit my older brother when my dad was going through law school. It can be made in advance and frozen. I edited this to add: Make sure that you let it sit for 5-10 minutes after coming out of the oven so it firms up a bit. :)
- 1 (16 ounce) package lasagna noodles
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 1⁄2-2 lbs ground beef
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 (1 quart) can whole tomato
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 lb mozzarella cheese
- 1 lb monterey jack cheese
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon basil
- Cook lasagne noodles according package instructions.
- While cooking noodles, brown the hamburger with onion and garlic in the oil.
- Drain fat.
- Add sugar, pepper, salt, tomatoes and tomato sauce.
- Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Slice both lbs of cheese.
- Mix oregano and basil together in a separate bowl.
- In a 9x13-inch dish layer noodles, cheese, sauce, and then spices.
- Repeat for 2 or 3 layers.
- Bake at 375 for 1/2 hour.
- You can freeze lasagne and cook for one hour.
Had this for dinner tonight and although it tasted great, it was extremely runny. I did exactly what was directed except there's no way a whole package of lasagne noodles is going to fit into my 9 X 13 dish. So I managed 3 layers to fill to almost overflowing. If I'm missing something here, please let me know because I love the recipe but the presentation was terrible.
Thank you Diggy for sharing this lovely recipe...My family and I enjoyed this dish very much...I grated old cheddar, mozzeralla and colby cheeses... and used fresh herbs from my garden...I will be making this again.