Cook1 hr 15 mins
This is my daughter's favorite recipe. It was on back of an American Beauty Lasagna noodle box over ten years ago, and I've been using it ever since I found it.
- 9 lasagna noodles
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons basil leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, broken up
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 (15 ounce) container ricotta cheese
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup ripe olives, sliced
- 1 lb mozzarella cheese, grated
- 3⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Prepare lasagna noodles according to package directions.
- Cook Italian sausage and ground beef; drain excess fat.
- Add onion and garlic.
- Stir and cook 5 minutes.
- Add next 7 ingredients and simmer 20 minutes.
- Combine egg, ricotta, parsley and salt in small bowl.
- In bottom of a 9x13-inch pan, spoon about 1 1/2 cups meat sauce.
- Layer 1/3 of the lasagna, 1/3 the meat sauce, 1/3 the ricotta, 1/3 the sliced olives, 1/3 the Mozzarella and 1/3 the Parmesan.
- Repeat layering.
- Cover with foil.
- Bake in a 375° oven for 25 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake uncovered 25 minutes longer.
- Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.
This is now my new lasagna recipe. I omitted the salt. I prefer to add more ricotta then called for. I recommend this recipe!
It may have been the sausage that I used, but this turned out very salty. I would hold the 1 Tbsp of salt and salt to taste instead. Otherwise, very good.