Recipe by Charlotte J
This is my daughter's favorite recipe. It was on back of an American Beauty Lasagna noodle box over ten years ago, and I've been using it ever since I found it.
- 9 lasagna noodles
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons basil leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, broken up
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 (15 ounce) container ricotta cheese
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup ripe olives, sliced
- 1 lb mozzarella cheese, grated
- 3⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare lasagna noodles according to package directions.
- Cook Italian sausage and ground beef; drain excess fat.
- Add onion and garlic.
- Stir and cook 5 minutes.
- Add next 7 ingredients and simmer 20 minutes.
- Combine egg, ricotta, parsley and salt in small bowl.
- In bottom of a 9x13-inch pan, spoon about 1 1/2 cups meat sauce.
- Layer 1/3 of the lasagna, 1/3 the meat sauce, 1/3 the ricotta, 1/3 the sliced olives, 1/3 the Mozzarella and 1/3 the Parmesan.
- Repeat layering.
- Cover with foil.
- Bake in a 375° oven for 25 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake uncovered 25 minutes longer.
- Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.