1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 30 mins
This is fantastic recipe for a delicious, rich lamb stew. The lamb just melts in your mouth! It is based on a recipe from the tv show Everyday Italian but I've made quite a few changes that I think make this just right.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 lbs boneless leg of lamb, cut into 11/2 - 2 inch chunks
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped (or use jarred easy garlic, I do!)
- 1 1/2 cups dry white wine
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 3 1/2 cups beef stock
- 1 (15 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3 small onions, cut into large chunks
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into large pieces
- 2 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1Heat oil in a large, heavy bottomed pan on a medium - high heat.
- 2In a bowl, sprinkle lamb with salt and pepper, then add the flour. Using your hands toss the lamb in the flour until evenly coated.
- 3Add the lamb to the pan and brown in batches to ensure you keep the heat up. This ensures you seal the meat quickly and do not stew it, keeping the juices inches.
- 4Set the lamb aside on a plate.
- 5Add the garlic to the same pan and sauté until soft and fragrant (around 3-5 minutes).
- 6Add wine and red wine vinegar and simmer over medium to high heat until reduced by half.While stirring to scrape the brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
- 7Return the lamb to the pan, then add the tomatoes, tomato paste and beef stock. Stir. Cover partially and simmer on a low heat for about 1 hour until the lamb is getting tender.
- 8Add the onions, carrots and potatoes to the stew.
- 9Continue to simmer for another 30 minutes until the vegetables are cooked and serve. This recipe goes great with slices of garlic bread!
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Italian Lamb Stew
Serving Size: 1 (794 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 874.6
- Calories from Fat 436
- Total Fat 48.4 g
- Saturated Fat 18.3 g
- Cholesterol 156.4 mg
- Sodium 641.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.9 g
- Sugars 7.0 g
- Protein 48.2 g