Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is fantastic recipe for a delicious, rich lamb stew. The lamb just melts in your mouth! It is based on a recipe from the tv show Everyday Italian but I've made quite a few changes that I think make this just right.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 3 lbs boneless leg of lamb, cut into 11/2 - 2 inch chunks
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped (or use jarred easy garlic, I do!)
- 1 1⁄2 cups dry white wine
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 3 1⁄2 cups beef stock
- 1 (15 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3 small onions, cut into large chunks
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into large pieces
- 2 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
- Heat oil in a large, heavy bottomed pan on a medium - high heat.
- In a bowl, sprinkle lamb with salt and pepper, then add the flour. Using your hands toss the lamb in the flour until evenly coated.
- Add the lamb to the pan and brown in batches to ensure you keep the heat up. This ensures you seal the meat quickly and do not stew it, keeping the juices inches.
- Set the lamb aside on a plate.
- Add the garlic to the same pan and sauté until soft and fragrant (around 3-5 minutes).
- Add wine and red wine vinegar and simmer over medium to high heat until reduced by half.While stirring to scrape the brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Return the lamb to the pan, then add the tomatoes, tomato paste and beef stock. Stir. Cover partially and simmer on a low heat for about 1 hour until the lamb is getting tender.
- Add the onions, carrots and potatoes to the stew.
- Continue to simmer for another 30 minutes until the vegetables are cooked and serve. This recipe goes great with slices of garlic bread!