Recipe by PhoodPhight
This hearty dish is an amazing way to get picky eaters to eat greens. The bitterness of the kale and the sweetness of the tomato work especially well together. I use a whole wheat pasta to make it a heart healthy dish.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped into 1/2 inch dice
- 1 lb Italian turkey sausage (lean)
- 1 (12 -16 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 bunches kale, chopped into 1/2 inch ribbons
- 1 lb whole wheat penne
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring 6 quarts water to a boil and add 2 tablespoons salt.
- In a large saute pan, heat oil and onion over medium heat until just softened, about five to seven minutes.
- Remove the casing from the turkey sausage and crumble into pan. Cook for 5-8 minutes or until mostly cooked.
- Add tomato sauce and kale.
- Cover pan and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package instructions until just "al dente" and drain.
- Remove lid from pan and add hot pasta. Toss to mix well and serve immediately.