Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Don't be put off by the number of steps. Its mostly just cutting up vegetables. This is quick and easy to do. I made this tonight after a long hard day. I was tired and it was late and I wanted a quick an easy meal. I had some cut up veggies left over from a vegetable tray I made and everything else just followed along. I added the prosciutto, also left over, because my fiance isn't happy without meat. I smeared my bread with ricotta cheese but left it off his because he doesn't like it. Try different veggies, cheeses and seasonings. Balsamic vinegar may also be a nice addition. It would be easy to make this a vegitarian or even a vegan meal. It was very satisfying and quite tasty. Try to find a good crusty bread for this. Cooking time includes prep time as I did everything at once anyway.
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 zucchini
- 1 summer squash
- 1 (12 ounce) jar marinated artichoke hearts
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 large portabella mushroom
- 6 cherry tomatoes
- salt and pepper
- 1 (8 ounce) package fresh mozzarella cheese
- 3 -6 slices prosciutto or 3 -6 slices salami (optional)
- 1 large Italian bread or 1 large bread, of choice
- Cut onions into rings.
- Cut zucchini and squash in half lenthwise and then into half rings.
- Cut bell pepper into strips.
- Cut mushroom into strips.
- Cut tomatoes in half.
- Cut cheese into thin slices.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add onions and saute until they start to soften.
- Salting the onions at this point will keep them from getting too brown.
- Add garlic and saute for about a minute, do not let garlic brown as it will become bitter.
- Add mushrooms and peppers and saute until they start to get tender.
- Add zucchini, squash and cherry tomatoes.
- Spoon in artichoke hearts.
- Do not drain but do not pour entire contents in pan.
- Just allow the liquid that gets scooped up with the heart to reach pan and discard the rest.
- Saute all until desired consistency and most of the liquid is cooked off.
- Cut bread in half lengthwise.
- Place slices of prosciutto evenly on bottom half of bread.
- Top with the vegetable mixture.
- Top the veggies with slices of cheese.
- Stick under broiler if desired to melt cheese.
- Cut into indivitual servings and enjoy.