Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
We had this for dinner last night, and it was fabulous. Elegant enough for a dinner party, but simple to put together. DH won't eat crab, so I made it with the artificial stuff, and he loved it. I would have preferred the real thing, though. From the Italian Inn cookbook. Just had to add, I had some leftovers for lunch on a toasted English Muffin...Fantastic!
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup grated onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 lbs fresh crabmeat
- 1 (14 ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mushrooms, thickly sliced
- fresh grated parmesan cheese (about 1 cup)
- In a 2 qt saucepan, melt butter and stir in flour. Cook 5 minutes over medium heat, stirring.
- Add onions. Cook 2-3 minutes without browning. Stir in parsley. Gradually add.
- cream and beat well.
- Add wine, salt, white pepper, and cayenne. Blend well. Bring to a
- simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat. When sauce has cooled to lukewarm, stir in lemon juice.
- In a 3 qt casserole, alternate layers of crabmeat, artichoke hearts and.
- mushrooms, spreading sauce between layers.
- Bake uncovered at 350º 30-45 minutes.