Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
The Italian Inn was a family restaurant in Tulsa, OK serving loyal patrons for over 40 years. This was one of their popular dishes. At the Inn they served Chicken Parmigiana in individual gratin or casserole dishes, but this dish can easily be baked in one large casserole dish. From the Italian Inn Cookbook.
- 8 thin chicken breasts
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (1 lb) can tomatoes
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons basil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons thyme
- salt & pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (don't substitute)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 8 slices mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Mix breadcrumbs and 1/4 c Parmesan cheese in shallow plate. Salt & pepper chicken.
- breasts on both sides, then dip in eggs, then crumbs. Heat 2 T oil and 2 T butter in skillet.
- Add chicken and saute. When lightly browned on both sides, remove and set aside.
- Heat oven to 350º. In saucepan, saute onion and garlic in 2 T olive oil until soft. Add.
- tomatoes, tomato sauce, basil, thyme, 1 t salt, ½ t pepper. Cover and simmer 15 minutes.
- Cut Mozzarella into 8 slices to cover each piece of chicken. Spoon some sauce into
- shallow baking dish. Arrange alternate, overlapping slices of cheese and chicken in dish.
- Spoon remaining sauce around edge. Sprinkle with 1/2 c Parmesan cheese. Bake 15-20
- minutes in 350º oven. This is a really good dish!
Very easy to make & very tasty... I did use shredded cheese in place of the mozzarella but other than that I followed the recipe. Yummm!!! Made from the orphanage, Fall PAC 2008
I made this for lunch today and it was absolutly delicious! My boyfriend isn't much of a food person and usually shoves food down his mouth but he actually said this dish was fantastic! everything was perfect. The only thing I did different was use Swiss cheese slices (we're both big on swiss) we have left overs and can't wait to eat them! Thanks so much for this recipe!!!! can't wait to share it with my whole family!!!