Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
The sauce for this chicken is prepared hunter style, which means with mushrooms, tomatoes, and onion, and seasoned with fresh herbs and wine. The name 'Cacciatore' is the Italian word for Hunter. From the Italian Inn Cookbook.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- 4 ounces white button mushrooms, wiped clean and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1 onion, sliced lengthwise 1/4-inch thick
- 2 celery ribs, strings removed, sliced crosswise 1/4-inch thick
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups chopped canned tomatoes
- 1⁄2 green bell peppers or 1⁄2 yellow bell pepper, seeds and ribs removed, sliced lengthwise 1/4-inch thick
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1⁄4 cup chicken stock
- Heat 1 T oil in medium skillet over high heat. Season chicken with salt & pepper. Cook in.
- the skillet until browned on both sides, about 6 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Wipe out skillet, and heat another tablespoon of olive oil. Add mushrooms and cook until.
- browned, about 5 minutes, set aside. Reduce heat to low.
- Heat remaining tablespoon of oil in skillet, add onion, celery, and garlic, cook stirring, until onion is translucent, about 8 minutes. DO NOT BURN GARLIC
- Add wine, raise heat to high. Cook until wine is almost evaporated, about 30 seconds.
- Add tomatoes, yellow peppers, rosemary and stock. Season with salt & pepper. Stir to
- combine. Add chicken and mushrooms, bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium low, cover.
- and simmer until chicken is tender, about 30 minutes. Serve with your favorite pasta.
This was pretty good... I omitted the mushrooms (nobody at my table will touch them), but other than that folllowed the recipe pretty close. I used banana peppers from my garden instead of bell pepper. I think bone-in chicken would taste better than the boneless, skinless in this recipe (just my opinion). I served over spaghetti. Thanks for sharing! Made for 1-2-3 Hit Wonders Tag Game.
Made for PAC fall 2008. Another baby does great! This is a great dinner and so fast it can be made on a weeknight after a long day at work. I did reduce to 3 chicken breasts and no mushrooms (not allowed). I did keep the sauce the same as we wanted to put the chicken over linguini.. The sauce is very good for a quickie. I think making ahead and letting sit would enhance the flavors even more. I also added 1 extra garlic as we love our garlic. I love the hint of rosemary in this sauce. My kitchen smelled great whilst cooking. Served with fresh made italian bread and a glass of wine. mmm mmmm