Recipe by TxGriffLover
The sauce for this chicken is prepared hunter style, which means with mushrooms, tomatoes, and onion, and seasoned with fresh herbs and wine. The name 'Cacciatore' is the Italian word for Hunter. From the Italian Inn Cookbook.
Top Review by NELady
This was pretty good... I omitted the mushrooms (nobody at my table will touch them), but other than that folllowed the recipe pretty close. I used banana peppers from my garden instead of bell pepper. I think bone-in chicken would taste better than the boneless, skinless in this recipe (just my opinion). I served over spaghetti. Thanks for sharing! Made for 1-2-3 Hit Wonders Tag Game.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- 4 ounces white button mushrooms, wiped clean and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1 onion, sliced lengthwise 1/4-inch thick
- 2 celery ribs, strings removed, sliced crosswise 1/4-inch thick
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups chopped canned tomatoes
- 1⁄2 green bell peppers or 1⁄2 yellow bell pepper, seeds and ribs removed, sliced lengthwise 1/4-inch thick
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1⁄4 cup chicken stock
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat 1 T oil in medium skillet over high heat. Season chicken with salt & pepper. Cook in.
- the skillet until browned on both sides, about 6 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Wipe out skillet, and heat another tablespoon of olive oil. Add mushrooms and cook until.
- browned, about 5 minutes, set aside. Reduce heat to low.
- Heat remaining tablespoon of oil in skillet, add onion, celery, and garlic, cook stirring, until onion is translucent, about 8 minutes. DO NOT BURN GARLIC
- Add wine, raise heat to high. Cook until wine is almost evaporated, about 30 seconds.
- Add tomatoes, yellow peppers, rosemary and stock. Season with salt & pepper. Stir to
- combine. Add chicken and mushrooms, bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium low, cover.
- and simmer until chicken is tender, about 30 minutes. Serve with your favorite pasta.