Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
From the Italian Inn Cookbook
- 6 chicken breasts
- 1 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup cognac
- 1 1⁄4 lbs fresh mushrooms
- 2 1⁄2 lbs white pearl onions
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 1⁄4 cups sauterne white wine
- 6 ounces chicken broth, undiluted
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1 1⁄4 cups heavy cream
- In a large skillet melt ½ c butter. Fry chicken until golden, about 5 minutes on each side.
- Warm cognac in small saucepan. Divide over chicken in skillet and ignite.
- Heat remaining butter in 5 qt Dutch oven.
- Saute mushrooms and onions about 10 minutes, stirring several times.
- Add chicken, salt, pepper, bay leaf, thyme, 1 cup sauterne, and chicken broth.
- Cover and simmer over low heat 20 minutes or until chicken is fork tender.
- In a small bowl, make a smooth paste of cornstarch and remaining sauterne.
- Gradually add to chicken, simmer, stirring 5 minutes.
- Stir in heavy cream; simmer uncovered 10 minutes. Remove bay leaf.
- Serve in chafing dish or over candle warmer.