Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
A classic & delicious Italian dessert. It is very light, so it is good after a heavy meal. Serves 4
- 2 cups warm water
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
ONE of the following
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice, &
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1⁄2 cup lime juice, &
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 1 cup pureed strawberry
- 1⁄2 cup semisweet chocolate, grated & melted
- maraschino cherries, with stems whole strawberries (to garnish) or chocolate shavings (to garnish)
- In a saucepan, dissolve sugar in water.
- Add fruit juice, strawberries, or chocolate.
- If adding fruit juice, let stand 5 minutes, then strain out rind.
- Pour mixture into freezing tray & freeze, stirring frequently until mixture is thick & mushy.
- Serve in chilled champagne glasses with appropriate garnish.
This was good but too sweet for me. The other 10 people who tried it loved it though! I'd use half the sugar next time to taste more berries and less sugar. Made it in an ice cream maker so I didn't have to stir it!
Love this recipe. If you add a package of Kool-Aid to the mixture you get popsicles. I let the mixture freeze first in a bowl and then gave it a quick blend in the blender or KitchenAid. Then poured it into popsicle molds and refroze it. Perfect Popsicles everytime.
My brother and I make this recipe all of the time using limes, and one key ingredient is using the peel of the citrus fruit for a burst of flavor with the lemon/lime Italian ice. It is a favorite with everyone and refreshing during the summer. Now I am going to try it with strawberries as you have presented. Thank you for sharing a tried and true classic.