Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
I'm a little Irish girl, who grew up in a big Italian community! These are the absolute best hot dogs I've ever had. Serving size depends on how many dogs you want to make. I'm going to post for 1 serving, you can take it from there.
- 1 hot dog
- 2 tablespoons canola oil (can use vegetable or olive oil)
- 1 medium potato
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper
- spicy mustard
- 1 torpedo roll (steak)
- Grill or broil hot dog.
- Wash peel and cube potato.
- Toss potato in oil, season with salt - pepper.
- Sauté potatoes until fork tender (like home fries or they can be roasted).
- Sauté onion and pepper until tender.
- Place your hot dog in torpedo roll,.
- Top with spicy mustard, potatoes, peppers and onions.
These are really good! I have been wanting to try these since seeing them on a Food Network show, 'Diners, Drive-ins and Dives', which was probably shot in NJ, I don't remember.. I took a short-cut, though, and used Ore-Ida 'obrien' potatoes, which are hash browns with onions and peppers.. Great flavors, and very filling.. I love these dogs!
Being a NJ boy and growing up eating Italian style hot dogs and sausages from the originators Jimmy Buff's, some say Dickie Dee's, both of Newark and it's one of my favorite types of dogs. This recipe is almost spot on, the only thing missing is the pizza bread.
Great!!! Being from NJ... this is a treat!