1/1 Photo of Italian Hero Sandwich
Michigan Dreamer's Note:
This is the sandwich to make when you want an attention grabber! At a good Italian delicatessen, you'll be able to find the peppers and sliced meats as well as a crusty loaf that will hold all the fixings. Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Outdoors Series,Picnics and Tailgates,by Diane Rossen Worthington (Time-Life Books, 1998).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Italian Hero Sandwich
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Italian bread, with sesame seeds,about 24 inches long,cut in half lengthwise
- 1/2 cup seeded and chopped pepperoncini pepper
- 1/2 cup seeded and chopped cherry pepper
- 2 cups finely shredded iceberg lettuce
- 4 tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 5 ounces thinly sliced salami
- 5 ounces thinly sliced capicola
- 5 ounces thinly sliced cotto salami
- 5 ounces thinly sliced mortadella
- 5 ounces thinly sliced provolone cheese
- 1In a small bowl, combine the vinegar, oregano, mustard, salt and pepper.
- 2Stir to mix well.
- 3Whisk in the olive oil until incorporated.
- 4On a work surface, lay out 3 long pieces of plastic wrap, placing them side by side and slightly overlapping.
- 5Place the bottom half of the loaf over the wrap.
- 6Spread the pepperoncini and cherry peppers over the bread.
- 7Scatter evenly with the lettuce and layer with the tomatoes.
- 8Drizzle with a few tablespoons of the dressing.
- 9Layer the meats, one at a time, over the tomatoes, making sure to distribute them evenly.
- 10Top with a layer of provolone cheese.
- 11Drizzle the remaining dressing over the cut side of the top of the loaf.
- 12Place on the layered sandwich and enclose in the plastic.
- 13Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or for up to 4 hours to develop the flavors.
- 14To serve, unwrap the sandwich and slice into large pieces about 3 to 4 inches wide.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Italian Hero Sandwich
Serving Size: 1 (209 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 538.4
- Calories from Fat 338
- Total Fat 37.6 g
- Saturated Fat 11.5 g
- Cholesterol 46.3 mg
- Sodium 1203.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 4.4 g
- Protein 18.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: