Prep 35 mins
Cook 15 mins
Made these for my Christmas freezer stash; they are delicious! from B H & G
Make and share this Italian Hero Calzones recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 1⁄4 cup snipped sun-dried tomato packed in oil
- 3 ounces thinly sliced smoked turkey or 3 ounces pepperoni, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup chopped pitted ripe olives
- 3⁄4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (3 ounces)
- 2 (10 ounce) packages pizza dough (refrigerated or frozen)
- parmesan cheese (finely shredded or grated)
- cayenne pepper (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Lightly grease a very large baking sheet and sprinkle with cornmeal, set aside.
- Drain tomatoes well, reserving oil.
- In a medium bowl, combine the tomatoes, turkey and/or pepperoni, and olives.
- Stir in the mozzarella cheese.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll each package of pizza dough to a 12 x 9 rectangle.
- Using a 3 inch round cutter, cut each rectangle into ten 3 inch circles.
- Place about 1 tablespoon of the meat/cheese mix slightly off centre on each dough circle.
- Fold dough over mixture, forming a semicircle.
- Seal the edge of each semicircle with the tines of a fork.
- Place the calzones on a prepared baking sheet.
- Brush the tops with the reserved oil from tomatoes and sprinkle with parmesan cheese and, if desired, cayenne pepper.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until calzones are golden.
- Serve warm.
- MAKE AHEAD: Prepare and bake calzones as directed.
- Remove to a wire rack and cool completely.
- Place the calzones in a freezer container or freezer bag.
- Seal, label and freeze for up to 2 months.
- To reheat, preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place the frozen calzones on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until heated through.
- If necessary, cover loosely with foil to prevent overbrowning.
*****. So that's 10 stars from DH itself.. and he wanted me to make it 2 days in a row! I added in some spicy sausages and instead of olives (DH is not a big fan of them) I added in 1 chopped green pepper. Made my own pizza dough and instead of making mini-calzones I made 4 'big' (8 inch) calzones! Thank you, Derf, for sharing this fantastic recipe!