Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a pasta salad that is easy to make, and great for gatherings, very tasty! I found it in a Betty Crocker recipe book. My husband and I don't like onions, so I replaced it with a little bit of shredded carrots for color. Also I used creamy Italian dressing, and it was delicious.
- 1 (16 ounce) package rotini pasta
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup Italian dressing
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil or 1 tablespoon dried basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano or 1 tablespoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms (3oz.)
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 large cucumber, coarsely chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 1⁄2 medium red onion, cut into thin wedges and separated
- Cook and drain pasta as directed on package.
- Then rinse with cold water and drain.
- Mix tomato sauce, dressing, basil and oregano in large glass or plastic bowl.
- Add pasta and remaining ingredients and toss.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or until chilled.
This was a good salad that makes a lot! I added some fresh grated parmesean cheese to this, and left out the onions.
Also saw this in a Betty Crocker recipe booklet and was ingrigued by the use of tomato sauce in the dressing so I tried it and found it to be delicious! I used oil and vinegar based Italian dressing but like your idea of using a creamy one. When I make it again I will double the amount of vegetables due to personal preferance. I also added sliced ripe olives and a sprinkling of parmesan. I found the flavors and texture best the same day - but it was still good as leftovers. Thanks for a great salad!