Recipe by GotBoxer?
This is my mother's recipe that won the Blue Ribbon at the Iowa State Fair.
Top Review by LonghornMama
Really good, very easy batter yeast bread. Great addition to any dinner, would be a wonderful side for soup or chili, too. This is one of those recipes I'll do better with the second time though. It rose faster than I anticipated and I was glad I didn't top with a towel or wax paper cause it was coming over the top of the skillet! And next time I'll bake on a lower rack, I baked on the center rack and the top browned before the bottom was thoroughly baked. Wonderful flavor, I'll definitely make again. Thanks for sharing the recipe!
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon dry onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages active dry yeast, packages
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the milk over medium low heat.
- Add sugar, salt, butter, onions, garlic powder and Italian seasoning; cool to lukewarm.
- Dissolve yeast in water, combine with milk mixture and cheese, stir in flour to make a soft dough.
- Grease a cast iron skillet with butter and place dough in skillet; cover with waxed paper and a towel. Let rise until doubled (about 45 min).
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour until done.
- Brush with butter.