1 hr 15 mins
These crispy cookies are made with hazelnuts and eggs and called Brutti Ma Buoni: literally, "Ugly But Good." But they are really more plain-looking than ugly, and pack a powerful, sweet, nutty burst of flavor, making them welcome at any table. From Eating Well magazine, October 2008.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Position 2 racks as close to the center of the oven as possible; preheat to 325 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or nonstick baking mats.
- 2Pulse nuts and sugar in a food processor until finely ground. Scrape into a large bowl.
- 3Beat egg whites and salt in another large bowl with an electric mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form.
- 4Using a rubber spatula, gently fold the egg whites into the nut mixture. Add vanilla and gently but thoroughly mix until combined.
- 5Drop the batter by the tablespoons 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheets.
- 6Bake the cookies until golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes, switching the pans back to front and top to bottom halfway through.
- 7Let cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes.
- 8Gently transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
- 9When the baking sheets are thoroughly cooled, repeat with the remaining batter.
- 10NOTE: TO TOAST AND SKIN HAZELNUTS.
- 11TO TOAST: Cook sliced or chopped nuts in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
- 12Toast whole hazelnuts on a baking sheet in a 350 degree F oven, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, 7 to 9 minutes.
- 13TO SKIN: Let the nuts cool for a few minutes, then rub together in a clean kitchen towel to remove most of the papery skins.
Browse Our Top Drop Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Drop Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Italian Hazelnut Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (21 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 30
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 91.4
- Calories from Fat 49
- Total Fat 5.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 46.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 8.7 g
- Protein 1.8 g