Recipe by Michelle S.
This is a simple, yet different quick tasty dish to make for a weeknight dinner. Great as is served just as made, even better topped with the optional ingredients. To increase servings for each 1/4 pound meat add 1 1/2 c. hashbrowns
Top Review by Karen From Colorado
A lot of flavor in this easy meal. I used diced potatoes and hot Italian sausage. Because I don't like my onions overly browned and blackened, I cooked them in bacon grease until done and removed them from the pan. I then added the meat and browned lightly before adding the potatoes and continue to fry until the potatoes were browned and crispy for the most part before adding the onions back into the pan. Instead of marinara sauce, I topped it all with canned Italian style sliced tomatoes and fresh grated Parmesan cheese. It was delicious and easy. Thank you for an easy after work meal, Michelle. We will make it again.
- 12 ounces bulk Italian sausage
- 5 cups frozen hash browns (shredded)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- salt and pepper
- 3⁄4 cup freshly shredded parmesan cheese (optional)
- 1 cup marinara sauce, warmed (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook sausage, onion, garlic in a large skillet until almost brown.
- Add hashbrowns, garlic and salt and pepper.
- Cook until as crispy as you like,flipping mixture as needed.
- Make sure to check that you won't need additional oil to prevent sticking (depends on sausages grease content). This takes approximately 10-15 minutes.
- If using optional ingredients: once crispiness has been achieved. Top hash with Parmesan cheese. Cover and let set until cheese is melted (approximately 3 minutes).
- Serve with marinara sauce drizzled over all.