Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
Saw this on Rachael Ray a couple years ago, and my husband said it was the best sandwich he ever had.
- 1 loaf Italian bread
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 4 ounces ham, thinly sliced
- 4 ounces swiss cheese, sliced
- fresh basil leaf
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Slice bread on the diagonal so you have longer slices, into 8 slices for 4 sandwiches. Place olive oil and garlic in small saucepan and heat only till it's just warm and garlic infuses into oil. Remove from heat. Butter inside of bread slices. Place ham on microwavable dish and heat through. Blot any juices that lay on the plate so it doesn't make sandwiches soggy.
- Preheat large skillet or griddle on stovetop on medium heat. Put ham on buttered bread, then basil leaves, then cheese. Brush garlic-infused olive oil on outside of sandwiches and place in preheated skillet or griddle. Lightly brown on each side.
Wow! This is our new favorite grilled sandwich! TY for posting. Made for Spring PAC 2014.
Just look at my basil. I think it's become melancholy about winter coming. Mother Nature can be cruel. Made for Fall PAC 2011.
This was an excellent sandwich. I think the garlic infused oil really makes a difference in this sandwich. Wonderful twist on a regular grilled cheese sammy. Thanks for posting such a yummy recipe.