Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
THE ONLY VEGETARIAN SOUP MY FAMILY LIKES ...From Nitty Gritty Italian cookbook..Easy, delightfully zesty meatless vegetable soup !
- 1⁄2 cup dried fava beans or 3 large potatoes
- 4 carrots
- 3 large onions
- 6 zucchini
- 3 stalks celery
- 1⁄2 small cabbage
- 1 1⁄2 quarts chicken or 1 1⁄2 quarts vegetable broth
- soy sauce
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 10 -12 slices of toasted French bread, half-inch thick
- freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Soak the fava beans in a generous amount of water for 24 hours.
- Drain and remove the skins.
- (If fava beans are not available, substitute peeled, cubed potatoes).
- Peel and cube the carrots and onions.
- Trim and cube the celery.
- Trim and cut the zucchini into half-inch slices.
- Core and finely shred the cabbage.
- Place the vegetables and water in a 12-quart pot.
- Add more water if needed to cover the vegetables.
- Season to taste, add the bay leaf and bring to a boil.
- Cover, lower the heat, and simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- Remove the bay leaf and correct the seasoning to taste including a few tablespoons of soy sauce.
- Cool and refrigerate overnight.
- Reheat prior to serving.
- Place a piece of toasted French bread in each soup bowl.
- Carefully ladle the soup over the``crouton´´.
- Serve grated Parmesan cheese for diners to add according to their taste.