Recipe by Seasoned Cook
BEST GREEN BEANS EVER!!! These beans are also known as Kentucky Wonders. They were the variety that my father always grew in our garden and are of the flat bean type. They have flavor galore! I have included a photo of the cans to show the brand and kind to purchase. A dish is always included on the menu at our family gatherings and are looked forward to.
Top Review by Chef shapeweaver �
I made this recipe on 11/08/09 for the " Slide into Sides " Event in the Cooking Photo Forum. I did make a change though, after frying the bacon and draining the " drippings " into the beans some more bacon was fried to add to the finished dish. ( I'm a bacon freak ;) )Never before have I added onions and sugar to my beans, but this is the way they will be done from now on.And I did use the Allen's Italian green beans,which I think made the difference. I will have to say this, you weren't telling a lie when you said " BEST GREEN BEANS EVER ". These will be made again,again, and again. Thank you so much for posting and, " Keep Smiling :) "
- 4 slices bacon (save drippings)
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) Italian cut green beans, drained
- 4 cups water
- 1⁄2 onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Fry bacon until crisp, crumble and set aside.
- Place drained beans with water in a medium size saucepan with lid.
- Add bacon drippings, onion, sugar and salt.
- Simmer on low heat for approximately 1 1/2 hours.
- Pour beans in a serving bowl and sprinkle crumbled bacon on top.