Recipe by Leslie in Texas
This colorful salad is great to take to a pot luck or for a buffet.Serve it at room temperature or slightly chilled. Pine nuts add a nice crunch! From a November 1985 issue of Bon Appetit in a "Delicious Do-Ahead Dinner " feature.
Top Review by nott
I love this recipe. I made it with only 3 tablespoons of olive oil, and I used walnuts instead of pine nuts. Thanks for a quick and easy keeper! By the way, Leslie, your recipes always sound delish, and I copy most of them to my cookbooks! We have the same tastes, it seems. Cheers!
- 2 lbs green beans, trimmed
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon stone ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 9 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large red onion, peeled, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 cup pine nuts, toasted
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large head radicchio
- 1 large head bibb lettuce
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook beans in 2 quarts boiling, salted water until crisp-tender, about 7 minutes.
- Drain and rinse well under cold water; drain again and pat dry.
- Combine vinegar,mustard and salt in medium bowl.
- Slowly whisk in oil in thin stream.
- Combine beans, onion and 1/2 cup pine nuts in large bowl; mix in vinaigrette.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and let marinate 15 to 30 minutes.
- Alternate radicchio and Bibb lettuce leaves over large platter.
- Mound bean mixture in center, sprinkle with reserved pine nuts and serve.