1/1 Photo of Italian Gravy W/ Chicken and Sausage
Chicagoland Chef du Jour's Note:
From Jeff Smith, "Cooking with Wine" I have been making it for over 20 years.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (1587.57 g) can tomato puree
- 170.09 g tomato paste
- 946.36 ml chicken stock
- 473.18 ml dry red wine
- 59.14 ml olive oil
- 2 medium yellow onions, chopped fine
- 2 stalk celery & leaves, chopped fine
- 1 carrot, scrubbed and grated
- 118.29 ml flat-leaf Italian parsley, minced
- 226.79 g white button mushrooms, fresh, tops & stems, chopped
- 2.46 ml red pepper flakes, crushed
- 14.79 ml dried oregano, crushed
- 4.92 ml dried rosemary
- 2 bay leaves, whole
- 14.79 ml dried basil
- 2 whole cloves (I do not add) (optional)
- 7.39 ml fresh ground black pepper
- 4.92 ml sugar
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 453.59 g Italian sausage, with casings removed (mild or hot)
- 1In a deep pot:.
- 2Cook sausage until no longer pink, breaking up into pieces. Remove from pan and drain on a paper towel.
- 3Add olive oil to pot, sautee onions, garlic, celery and carrot until tender.
- 4Add tomato sauce and puree, chicken stock and red wine. Add all remaining ingredients.
- 5Bring to boil and simmer for at least 2 hours, stirring often. *I simmer for several hours.
- 6Break up / shred chicken with wooden spoon as it becomes tender while simmering.
- 7Serve over your favorite cooked pasta and top with freshly grated Parmesan-Regiano cheese.
- 8Freezes well.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Italian Gravy W/ Chicken and Sausage
Serving Size: 1 (379 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 336.7
- Calories from Fat 149
- Total Fat 16.5 g
- Saturated Fat 4.6 g
- Cholesterol 35.3 mg
- Sodium 750.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 11.8 g
- Protein 17.7 g