Recipe by BBQ & Beer
It takes some time, but Sundays don't get any better than this. A basic tomato sauce that is to die for.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 lbs pork neck bones, some smoked if you wish
- 3 (15 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon garlic (or as much or as little as you like)
- 3 tablespoons italian seasoning
- some kind meat (italian meatballs or sausage or braciole)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat a stock pot on medium high heat.
- Heat the oil and brown the neck bones.
- Remove the neck bones and wrap in cheesecloth (the neck bones will fall apart after cooking so long and the cheesecloth will prevent small bone splinters from ruining the sauce).
- Fry the tomato paste for about a minute stirring constantly.
- Add the tomato puree and 2-3 cans of water until you get a nice consistency (it should be a little more watery than store bought sauce).
- Add the neckbones and simmer for about an hour.
- Add the seasonings and the meat and simmer for an additional two hours or more.
- Serve with fresh bread as a dipping sauce or over pasta, etc.