1 hr 30 mins
Rick B(2)'s Note:
A hand me down recipe of true Italian origin that was shared with me by a good friend. The recipe has been in his Italian family for years. Very simple to make with a fairly short cooking time as compared with others!!!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs ground beef
- 3 slices white bread (water soaked)
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup grated romano cheese
- 3 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/4 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons crushed dry oregano
- 4 cloves crushed garlic
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 (29 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (29 ounce) can tomato puree
- 1 (29 ounce) can water
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 -3 pieces of fresh pork necks or 2 -3 pieces pork ribs
- 1In a large pot combine tomato sauce, tomato puree, tomato paste, water, sugar, oregano, 2 tspn salt, 1 tspn pepper, garlic cloves and bring to a simmer on low heat.
- 2Combine ground beef, bread, eggs, Romano cheese, 1 1/2 tspn salt, garlic powder and 1/4 tspn pepper.
- 3Mix ingredients and form into meatballs 2-3" in diameter.
- 4In a large skillet use enough of the veg oil to have approx 1/8" covering bottom
- 5Heat on medium.
- 6When oil is hot enough, brown meatballs on all sides and add to pot with sauce.
- 7Brown pork neck or ribs in same pan and add to sauce.
- 8Add at least 1/2 of remaining oil in skillet to pot.
- 9Don't forget to add all of those small cooked bits from skillet bottom.
- 10(Great Flavor!!!) Any excess oil or fat can be spooned off of sauce after cooking.
- 11Cook uncovered (simmer) for 1 1/2 hrs.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Italian Gravy and Meatballs
Serving Size: 1 (439 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 647.6
- Calories from Fat 387
- Total Fat 43.0 g
- Saturated Fat 13.5 g
- Cholesterol 169.5 mg
- Sodium 2025.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.9 g
- Sugars 13.5 g
- Protein 40.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: