Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
I just found this recipe and thought I’d post it for the Zaar World Tour to Italy. They sound awesome and I can’t wait to get them in the oven. I have no idea where to get candied angelica so that may be a challenge, but I think I will use candied lemon peel pieces
- 1 3⁄4 cups self rising flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups sweet butter, diced at room temperature
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons milk
- 1⁄4 cup caster sugar (superfine)
- 1⁄2 finely grated lemon, rind of
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 1⁄4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons limon cello liqueur or 2 tablespoons lemon syrup
- 1 tablespoon chopped candied angelica
- Preheat over to 350.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Place flour into mixing bowl and rub in the butter.
- Put milk, caster sugar, and lemon rind in a small sauce pan.
- Stir over low heat until sugar dissolves.
- Add to the flour mixture, together with the egg.
- Mix well.
- Knead lightly until smooth.
- Roll walnut size pieces of dough into strands about 6 inches.
- Twist 2 strands together and join ends to make a circle.
- Place on baking sheets and bake for 15-20 minutes until golden.
- For topping, stir the icing sugar and liqueur together.
- Dip the top of each cookie into the topping.
- Sprinkle with angelica.