This is an adaptation from a recipe posted on hungrybrowser.com in the Uncle Phaedrus section. I used my breadmaker to put the dough together and then hand shaped the loaves for baking. To use for a panini sandwich, slice each loaf in eighths (rendering 4 sandwiches per loaf), fill with your favorite ingredients and use your panini maker or grill with press to prepare a delicious sandwich. Mangia!
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm water
- 5 cups all-purpose flour or 5 cups bread flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried rosemary or 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried marjoram (optional)
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh Italian parsley (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon lemon pepper
- Prior to placing ingredients in breadmaker, fill the container with water.
- It needs to accomodate at least 11 cups of water.
- If it has that capacity, you can dump the water out and proceed.
- The dough makes a large amount and does rise to the top of the container.
- Place all ingredients in bread machine in order suggested by the manufacturer.
- If desired, you can hold off placing the herbs into the machine and wait until forming the loaves to place on top of bread.
- Set machine to dough cycle.
- When cycle is complete, punch dough down and knead a few times on a lightly floured surface (the dough should remain somewhat sticky).
- Place dough in oiled bowl, turn to coat with the oil, cover, and allow to rise again until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Ten minutes prior to rising is finished preheat oven to 400°F Lightly grease two baking sheets (I line them with Silpat sheets).
- After dough has risen the second time, press air out and divide dough in half (dough will still be sticky, do not use more flour).
- Press (using your hands) each half with a light touch into approximately an 8 x 11-inch rectangle on the individual prepared pans (rustic looking is okay, but don't press too flat).
- Brush with olive oil.
- If you haven't already added the herbs into the dough, scatter garlic, oregano, rosemary, marjoram, peppers, and parsley over surface of each and press lightly.
- Sprinkle with salt.
- Bake about 20-30 minutes or until a light golden.
- Serve warm or slice to use for a panini sandwich and grill.
- *Notethat preparation time doesn't include about 3 hours of rising time.