Recipe by Feast Your Eyes!
The Italians call this refreshing fruity milkshake a 'Frullati di frutta'. What we sometimes refer to as a "smoothie". Instead of a heavy breakfast, many Italians prefer a 'frullato' in the mid-morning to help tide them over until lunch. Treat yourself to this healthy elixir in lieu of the usual morning cup of coffee and 'Egg McMuffin' . Buongiorno!
- 1 red apple
- 1 pears or 1 peach
- 1 banana
- 1 orange
- 2 apricots (fresh or canned)
- 2 teaspoons sugar (adjust to your taste)
- 4 cups milk
- 3 ice cubes
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel the apple, the pear or peach, the banana, and the orange.
- Slice/core the fruit; put in a blender with the sugar, the milk and the ice. Blend for 2 minutes (process until smooth and thick).
- Serve in tall glasses OR this fruity concoction can travel in a thermos on the way to work or school.
- Other delicious frullato versions include:.
- Version #1: Put in the blender 4 pineapple slices (fresh or canned) and 3 bananas, all sliced. Add the juice of 2 oranges (if possible red), the juice of 1 lemon, and a chilled simple syrup (Preparation: 1 part water and 2 parts sugar -- Bring the water to a boil, then dissolve into this the sugar. Once the sugar is fully dissolved, remove the pan from the heat and allow it to cool.) Blend fruity mixture for 2 minutes and serve in chilled tall glasses. If desired, add ice and decorate with orange or lemon slices.
- Version #2: Put in the blender the juice of 4 oranges and 1 lemon, the zest of 1/2 an orange, 1 apple (peeled and sliced), 2 cups Kirsch or any other liquor (adjust to your taste), and 6–8 ice cubes. Blend for 1 minute and serve immediately.
- Version #3: Peel and cube 1 melon (honeydew, watermelon or cantaloupe); put in blender. Add 3–4 teaspoons sugar (adjust to taste), the juice of 1 lemon, 2 teaspoons of your favorite liquor (option), 4 cups of dry chablis and 3 ice cubes. Blend for 2 minutes slowly increasing the speed. Serve in tall, frosted glasses.