Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 mins
This is a fabulous recipe for Italian fried dough thats very similar to Zeppoles. I'm not sure where this recipe originated from but it sure is a crowd pleaser. Best when served with warm.Note: If you spoon anymore than a teaspoon full of the mixture in the oil it will not cook properly and be raw in the middle. Small is best. Also when one side is cooked it will roll itself over to cook the other side.
- 1 lb ricotta cheese
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 5 eggs
- 1 dash salt
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar, for dusting
- Mix ALL ingredients and let stand for 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, heat about an inch of oil in a heavy frying pan, make sure it is very hot so that the dough will sizzle once it hits the water. You can test it by taking a tiny bit of dough and throw it in the pan, it should brown quickly.
- Take s spoonfull of the dough and drop it in the hot oil. They will cook for a couple minutes Once the dough turns itself over in the oil and all sides are a nice golden brown they are done.
- Place them on a paper towel to soak the oil up.
- Coat them with powdered sugar. You can sprinkle it or toss them in a ziploc bag with powdered sugar. It just depends how much sugar you like.