Recipe by Karen Elizabeth
Not for the diet-conscious! A nice addition might be thinly sliced onion rings, raw or cooked (layered with the ham and cheese) , according to your personal preference. From "The Country Kitchen: Cheese And Biscuits", Jean Hatfield
- 9.85 ml French mustard
- 8 slice bread, buttered
- 125 g cheddar cheese or 125 g gruyere cheese, sliced
- 12 slice italian salami
- 2 eggs
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- salt and pepper
- oil, for shallow frying
Directions See How It's Made
- Spread the mustard evenly over the buttered side of the bread.
- Arrange the cheese on four slices, and top with the salami and remaining bread. Press firmly together.
- Beat the eggs and olive oil together, adding salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat the cooking oil in a frying pan.
- Dip each sandwich into the egg mixture, fry 2 sandwiches at a time until golden brown, turning with a spatula to crisp both sides.
- Drain on absorbent kitchen paper and serve.