Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
This recipe is for the dough and filling, made from fresh apples golden delicious works good. This make a very pretty tasty torte.
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar or 1⁄8 Splenda granular, works great
- 1 cup butter, plus
- 1 tablespoon butter (softened)
- 1 egg yolk
- 4 cups sliced apples
- 1⁄4 cup water or 1⁄4 cup apple cider
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup sugar or 1⁄2 Splenda granular
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon butter
- FOR CRUST; Blend flour and sugar, cut in butter into small pieces and work into flour mixture by hand or fork, (DON'T Over Mix); then add egg yolk, stir gently until well incorporated into the flour-butter mixture.
- Gently form two balls of dough; ONE LARGER, for the bottom crust; the other ball is for the top; WRAP dough in wax paper and set in refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Line pizza pan with parchment paper; crumble large ball of dough on to the parchment paper and press to fit lined pan.
- Then roll small dough ball in between waxed paper, press or roll dough to 1/8 inch thick, cut into strips to layer over apple filling (cut any sze it doesn't matter, have fun); NOTE use kitcken knife to lift strips onto the apple filling in a crisscross pattern, (if strips break, DO NOT WORRY, arrange into pattern of squares).
- FOR FILLING: place apples in medium saucepan with water (or cider), and slowly warm slowly, then add flour, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and butter to apple mixture; cook over medium-high heat,stirring often until thick; set aside and cool.
- Pour filling over bottom crust, spread evenly, then layer top with strips of dough; Bake at 375 degrees for 35-40 minutes, until browned.
A little time consuming to make, but very much worth the effort. I loved cooking the filling first - it cuts down on baking time. For less experienced, cooks, I would suggest adding to your recipe what pan size that should be used. This was a wonderful dessert to go with our dinner last night. Thanks again Barb for always providing such top notch recipes.