This is served on Christmas Eve usually...Recipe from Chef Jon Ashton out of the Relish Magazine.
Make and share this Italian Fisherman's Stew recipe from Food.com.
- peasant bread, cubed
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 tesp. salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 5 garlis cloves, finely chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped roasted red pepper
- 1 orange, finely grated rind and juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- red chile, flakes pinch
- 0.5 (7/8 liter) bottle dry red wine
- 2 cups chcken broth
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 lbs bay scallops
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1, To prepre croutons, preheat oven to 375 degrees. Sporead bread cubes on a large rimmed baking sheet. Bake until toasted, about 10 minutes. In a large bowl, combine olive oil, vinegar, salt & pepper. Set aside.
- 2. To prepare soup, heat olive oil in a large pan over medium-high. Add onion, carrot, celery and garlic. Saute 10 minutes. Add tomates and red peppers and crush with a fork. Add orange rind and juice, sugar, chile flakes, wine, chicken stock, thyme, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, 30 minutes. Uncover and simmer over medium heat until sauce thickens, about 10 minutes. Add scallops and shrimp and cook 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in chopped basil.
- 3. Just before serving, pour oil mixture over croutons and toss well. Divide croutons among 10 serving bowls. Top with stew.