This is served on Christmas Eve usually...Recipe from Chef Jon Ashton out of the Relish Magazine.
Make and share this Italian Fisherman's Stew recipe from Food.com.
- peasant bread, cubed
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 tesp. salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 5 garlis cloves, finely chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped roasted red pepper
- 1 orange, finely grated rind and juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- red chile, flakes pinch
- 0.5 (7/8 liter) bottle dry red wine
- 2 cups chcken broth
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 lbs bay scallops
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1, To prepre croutons, preheat oven to 375 degrees. Sporead bread cubes on a large rimmed baking sheet. Bake until toasted, about 10 minutes. In a large bowl, combine olive oil, vinegar, salt & pepper. Set aside.
- 2. To prepare soup, heat olive oil in a large pan over medium-high. Add onion, carrot, celery and garlic. Saute 10 minutes. Add tomates and red peppers and crush with a fork. Add orange rind and juice, sugar, chile flakes, wine, chicken stock, thyme, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, 30 minutes. Uncover and simmer over medium heat until sauce thickens, about 10 minutes. Add scallops and shrimp and cook 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in chopped basil.
- 3. Just before serving, pour oil mixture over croutons and toss well. Divide croutons among 10 serving bowls. Top with stew.
This was abosultely fantastic. Made it for Christmas Eve this year. Substituted the seafood to 1lb shrimp, 1/2 lb scallops, 1/2 lb lobster, and 1/2 lb halibut for variety. Amazing flovors. The orange essence really came through.