1/1 Photo of Italian Fish Soup
Barb Gertz's Note:
A good winter time soup. My DH loves soup anytime. Recipe comes from Better Homes & gardens. Great with French bread and wine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 ounces sea bass (fresh or frozen) or 8 ounces sole (fresh or frozen) or 8 ounces other fish fillets (fresh or frozen)
- 6 ounces peeled and deveined shrimp (fresh or frozen)
- 3 cups water
- 2 medium tomatoes, peeled and cut up
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrot (2 medium)
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup dry white wine or 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon finely shredded orange rind
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 dash bottled hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 4 slices Italian bread, toasted
- 1Thaw the fish fillets and shrimp, if frozen.
- 2Rinse fish and shrimp; pat dry with paper towels.
- 3Cut the fish into 1-inch pieces; halve the shrimp lengthwise.
- 5In a large saucepan combine the 3 cups water, tomatoes, carrots, celery, wine or water, onion bouillon, marjoram, orange peel, garlic, bay leaves, and hot pepper sauce.
- 6Bring to boiling; reduce heat.
- 7Cover and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until vegetables are nearly tender.
- 8Stir in tomato paste.
- 9Add fish and shrimp to saucepan.
- 10Bring mixture just to boiling; reduce heat.
- 11Cover and simmer about 5 minutes more or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork and shrimp turn pink.
- 12Discard bay leaves.
- 13To serve, ladle into soup bowls.
- 14Place a slice of Italian bread on each serving.
- 15Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Bass Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bass Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Italian Fish Soup
Serving Size: 1 (465 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 224.1
- Calories from Fat 24
- Total Fat 2.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 106.1 mg
- Sodium 605.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 6.3 g
- Protein 23.0 g