Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
A good winter time soup. My DH loves soup anytime. Recipe comes from Better Homes & gardens. Great with French bread and wine.
- 8 ounces sea bass (fresh or frozen) or 8 ounces sole (fresh or frozen) or 8 ounces other fish fillets (fresh or frozen)
- 6 ounces peeled and deveined shrimp (fresh or frozen)
- 3 cups water
- 2 medium tomatoes, peeled and cut up
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrot (2 medium)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine or 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried marjoram, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon finely shredded orange rind
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 dash bottled hot pepper sauce
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 4 slices Italian bread, toasted
- Thaw the fish fillets and shrimp, if frozen.
- Rinse fish and shrimp; pat dry with paper towels.
- Cut the fish into 1-inch pieces; halve the shrimp lengthwise.
- In a large saucepan combine the 3 cups water, tomatoes, carrots, celery, wine or water, onion bouillon, marjoram, orange peel, garlic, bay leaves, and hot pepper sauce.
- Bring to boiling; reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until vegetables are nearly tender.
- Stir in tomato paste.
- Add fish and shrimp to saucepan.
- Bring mixture just to boiling; reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer about 5 minutes more or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork and shrimp turn pink.
- Discard bay leaves.
- To serve, ladle into soup bowls.
- Place a slice of Italian bread on each serving.
- Serve immediately.
First let me say that 4 servings became 2 tonight. The tomatoes really cooked away into the soup so I just picked out the skins at serving time. The only thing I would change would be to use fish stock (if available) in place of the chicken. This is a lovely light and low fat soup that I'm sure I'll make again. I didn't have sea bass so I used Mahi Mahi along with the shrimp.
Excellent. I did it with scallops and white fish (Goldbutsfilet, don't know the English name) but I'd recommend adding the tomatoes only 8 minutes before the end of cooking. My other half and I finished four servings between us. ;D