Recipe by Chabear01
This is another recipe from the Alberta Kidney Foundation with special considerations in lowering potassium levels for patients in renal failure.
Top Review by JohnsCutie
My brother is a renal patient so I made this for him. He didn't like it. I found it to be okay, but it was a lot of trouble to make. It required way more than 20 minute prep time because of having to chop the onions, celery and tomatoes, then cook the rice and slice the zucchini. If you try this recipe, the easiest way to slice zucchini length wise is with a potato peeler. I didn't know that at first and had to find out.
- 2 cups zucchini, sliced lengthwise
- 1 cup lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup celery, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon parsley
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 1 dash pepper
- 1 cup cooked rice, unsalted
- 2 small tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup cottage cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup low-sodium cheddar cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil zucchini for 2 minutes.
- Fry ground beef, onion, celery, garlic and seasonings till meat is brown. Stir in rice and tomato together for a mixture.
- Blend cottage cheese and egg in a bowl.
- Arrange half of the zucchini slices in a one-quart casserole dish.
- Spoon on meat-rice mixture.
- Spread cottage cheese and egg over meat.
- Top with remaining zucchini and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.