Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
The human resources department at my workplace included this recipe in a health newsletter. It's perfect for summer when all of the ingredients are in season.
- 1 small zucchini, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chopped bell pepper
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 6 egg whites
- 1 egg
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Cook zucchini, onion, sweet pepper, and garlic in hot oil until onion is tender, cool slightly.
- Combine egg whites, whole egg, milk and Italian seasoning in a medium mixing bowl; mix well. Stir in cooked vegetables.
- Pour in four individual (about 4 1/2 inch diameter) ramekins. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until set.
- Sprinkle each serving with mozerella cheese. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
One cup of milk seemed like an awful lot. I cut it down to under a half and I think that was still alot. Took forever for the eggs to set. Next time, I'll use under 1/4 of milk and more or all the egg yolks. (Just a lesser amount of the full eggs.) The eggs were still 'wet' in the middle. I had to nuke it, to finish the cooking. My ramekins may have been bigger. I did figure they would take longer. I wasn't busy, so this really wasn't a huge deal. Besides that, these were really good and full of flavor. Tho, I did think it needed S&P. Wasn't a bad recipe by far. Just needed to be fixed. For me anyways. I liked the idea of the recipe. I will make it again. Just with my changes. Thanks for sharing! :)