Recipe by Umberle
Pulled from an old issue of vegetarian times. I used to be pretty leary of eggplant, but this was enchanting. Good on its own; better with pasta or rice.
- 2 medium eggplants, halved
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Scoop out center and seeds of eggplant halves. Cut eggplants into 3/4 inch dice. Toss with salt in bowl and let it stand for at least 20 minutes. Drain off the fluid that collects, rinse well, and pat dry.
- Heat olive oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, and saute until softened (about 5 minutes.) Add garlic, and cook 1 minute more, or until fragrant. Stir in tomatoes, chickpeas, and eggplants. Reduce heat to medium-low, and cook 15 minutes, or until eggplants are tender but not mushy.
- Stir in capers and sugar, and cook 2 minutes more. Fold in parsley, and season with black pepper.